Web and ash to the 10 mile barrier

Out and back, round and round, bit by bit the weight's come down. The last few months has seen me putting as many miles as possible behind me to reach a point where I can feel the difference, even on a hot humid day. The one thing needed now, is to break the ten mile barrier.

It was on a Saturday at noon that I began a trek and by 2:30pm, I had covered about 8 miles, almost non-stop. My legs were that kind of tired which feels as though I accomplished something and was also very satisfying. The after thought was, next week I will go 10 miles or more—I'm ready for that now.
Just some flowery weeds. No idea what they are, but I didn't touch them just in case. England has some very poisonous plants. One, Deadly Nightshade, isn't called deadly for nothing.

I was tramping along some fairly solid trails, not all that much interested in taking any photo's, but at one place I noticed the spider's web and grabbed a shot. I guess it's just some standard spider, but it looks as though it put a lot of work into this web. I hope the thing has some good feeds as a result.
Fair enough, it's a web, but later on I topped a small rise to be greeted with the remains of a fire.

England has seen quite a few fires this summer. One was really bad, the rest were not considered newsworthy enough to be mentioned, but apparently there have been quite a few smaller and some larger ones.

Breaking the ten mile barrier

Two years ago, hiking 10-20 miles wasn't a problem. Since then with the spine problem, I've put on weight and my muscles have weakened. The aforementioned 8 mile trek spurred me on to make a longer hike of 10-12 miles. Putting pack on back: filled with extra food, water and the like saw me heading towards a place that I had been near before, some years previously.

Leaving the town by covering about a mile or so, put me on a trail which leads to the Grand Union Canal, at edge of London. Before I left home I had donned shorts and a loose T-shirt, figuring the temperatures will be in the mid-80's and the route is quite open. Then I had a bad feeling about that and changed into trousers and a long sleeved shirt.
Why the shorts were not a good idea.

After about a mile or so I was greeted by a narrow path full of every kind of stinging, stabbing and stick into your flesh ground cover. The shirt sleeves were rolled down, the trousers a welcome relief and I reckon I did about 1/2 mile on this.
To get on the main trail I had to cross a river. Not sure what to expect, I eventually reached a bridge. Taking one look at this, thoughts of impending doom flashed before my eyes. The hand rail was very shaky and on the right side, non-existent after the weeds. Fortunately underfoot it was quite solid and I entered the wide open spaces which were there for nearly all the rest of the hike. I strode out at nearly a marching pace and went from one large field to another in the bright sun. The temperature was around 80 with a slight breeze and the thought of it becoming a bit boring raised its head a few times, but at least I will be able to cover the 10 odd miles to reach where I wanted to end the jaunt.
So often when out, I wish that some other wildlife than the feathered variety could be seen. I did not carry my bridge camera with me, so was just using the smartphone for any quick images. Walking without a care in the world at the edge of a large field was interrupted by this deer jumping out of the bush and almost knocking me over (it was that close to me). I froze. Several bounds and leaps happened as I reached for the fone in my pocket and grabbed a shot before it continued on its way. Aaah, wildlife without feathers—and I hope no ticks.
Not all the journey was open field, there were some stages through trees, their shade a nice touch. So it went until I reached a town I'd been to before. It took two hours after getting off the train to reach it, so I'd covered a good 6 miles. Then it all went wonky. Not my fault, but the local, ill-behaved youth who had ripped signs down and swapped them around—but I didn't know that (except for 2 laying yards away, broken, in some bushes). From there I embarked on a 2 hour, very large circle. Still marching along at a fair old pace, thinking—this is not right.

The next town is not very far from the first one and shouldn't take more than an hour, but here I was with the thermometer in the high 80's, and my legs telling me that I had gone well through the 10 mile barrier—I had finally reached the 2nd town. I had been tramping around for exactly 4 hours, walking a fast pace doing a little over 3 mph. I covered 12 miles or so. That was all I needed and called it a day.

The day out was fun, except for a bit of frustration at the messed up signage, and I achieved what I had set out to do.
Jul 26, 2018

latest comment at top
Got bit though, fortunately it wasn't a Lyme Tick. Went to Doc to have it checked. The deer was so close when it jumped, I could have touched it. Wind was in my favor.
Jul 30, 2018 at 1918
Nice catch on the deer! Something about wandering town to town there sounds so inviting. Not a thing here. Walking on interstates isn't very fun. Smile
Jul 30, 2018 at 1900
I haven't made up my mnd on that score yet Agness. This summer is just me getting back in shape and sorting out some stuff (bored I am, bored).
Jul 30, 2018 at 1236
Agness of eTramping
Seems like a great walk with lots of wonderful scenery, Ted! I loved your pictures! Which is your next town?
Jul 30, 2018 at 1204

new comment notification is automatic
spam gets deleted
Make comment *Required
Name *
Email *
Comment *